Friday, January 9, 2009

Resolutions!

I spent the better part of a day emptying, cleaning and reorganizing my kitchen cabinets. Any of you who've been to my home and unsuspectingly opened a cabinet to say, get a glass for water, know what I was up against. They were BAD. Jay always accuses me of booby trapping them so that things fall on his head when he opens them. But the sippy cups, kids glasses and dishes, and miscellaneous junk always got added in without taking anything out.
Some of the things I found in my explorations include: a hamburger press (for perfectly round and uniformly thick burgers - yeah, right), a gun to smoosh ground venison out of to make venison jerky (ooh, yum), and my favorite - pop top caps. Remember when pop was sold in the old glass bottles? If you didn't drink it all, you could snap on a handy plastic pop top cap. These may be a collector item!
So I purged and purged - two piles. One to donate and the other to store in the basement storage room until I realize I can donate it.
My friend (and sister-in-law) Melissa inadvertently started my long overdue task. On New Years we talked about resolutions. If I make them, mine are always huge, hard to attain, and usually get left by the wayside. Lose weight! Get in shape! Keep the house spotless! She had done more of a "to do" list of resolutions last year. Now I love lists. I have even been known to write something on a list just so I can cross it off. Resolutions I could cross off seemed the way to go. I have about 15 on my list so far, some more difficult than others, but all things I would like to accomplish in 2009.
Jay went up to his fish house tonight. After the kids were in bed at 8:00 pm the evening stretched before me. The new James Patterson thriller beckoned from my nightstand. The thought of curling up in bed with a fire going in the fireplace and no one to ask me when I was going to turn out the reading light was awfully appealing. But I also knew I could get another cupboard done with no kids "helping". I am crossing off a resolution in January - woo hoo!

2 comments:

Laura said...

You go, girl!!!

Laura said...

PS The Smithsonian called and they want their pop bottle thingy back. :)