Friday, January 16, 2009

The Frozen Tundra

Yesterday our thermometer read -25. School was cancelled. Today it reads -33. School is cancelled. These are actual temperatures, I don't even want to know what the windchills are.
Yesterday we got into the spirit of the school "holiday". Too cold to play out in the snow like a snow day, obviously. So we stayed in jammies and I let them watch tv while I curled up on the couch with a cup of coffee and my book club book. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that no one was watching the cartoons on tv. The boys had gone and gotten a book and were reading together on the couch too. Now THAT warms my heart!
Today however, I'm not as into the spirit of the "holiday". Our furnace started acting up yesterday (I know, great timing, huh?). Just a couple of times I realized the furnace hadn't kicked on when it should have and it was getting cold in the house. But when I'd turn it up it would kick on. Then last night at about midnight Max woke me up because he was cold and wanted his blankets tucked back on him - the hall thermostat read 60, but his room gets quite a bit colder. Anyway, that's how my night continued. I couldn't sleep then and kept waking up every few hours to mess with the thermostat and get the furnace running, then putting extra blankets on the kids. I woke Jay up early for work, always confident that he can fix anything. I fell into a restful sleep finally! Imagine my dismay when I was awakened at 6:15 by the school notification line phone call and realized the house was still freezing cold. He apparently did the same thing I did, got it started and then just left for work. So I called him and asked if I should call Minnegasco, or a different repair company. "Oh, no, I'll fix it when I get home". HMMMM.
So, I've got the boys dressed in t-shirts, long sleeved shirts, hooded sweatshirts, sweatpants, and thick slipper socks with regular slippers over them. I am somewhat comforted by the knowledge that one of my friends keeps her house colder than this (right Gretchen?).
Send warm thoughts our way!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Warm thoughts, warm thoughts, warm thoughts......

Kellet Ose said...

Imagine how warm you'll be when you all pile into the same bed!

I'm reading the book today, too. Why would a woman want to pay to be a pervert convict's penpal?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like our furnace last week. You should've called me.
I bet it's your sensor.
Oh well, you won't need it by Saturday. Open up the windows - we're hitting the 20's.
Woo Hoo !

Gretchen said...

It's a balmy 60 in our house all day long (although I do cheat and turn the fireplace on and plant my butt right in front of it for a few hours during the day!) Hope you are keeping warm- layers are the key :) I'm reading the book too. Very interesting, but I keep picturing a palentologist like Ross Gellar!! Too much late night tv I guess!