My friend Sonya's surgery went great and she is doing well! I am so thankful.
We had another scare yesterday. My Mom is visiting us and last night while she was helping me in the kitchen drying dishes I realized she had slumped over the counter. When I asked her if she was okay she had a hard time answering. I asked her if it was her heart, should I run and get an aspirin? She said no. She's diabetic, does she need juice or something? At this point Jay and I have grabbed her and sat her in a chair and he's holding her up while I call 991. Yep, I know, nobody is there. Nice that I'm calm and collected in an emergency. So I realize and call 911. The whole time I was on with 911 Mom's eyes were open but she couldn't talk or respond. It was so scary. I'm sure it was less than 10 minutes until first responder police arrived, but it seemed like forever. Once they got there and laid her flat on the floor (DUH - why didn't we do this instead of the chair?) and gave her oxygen she came right back. When the paramedics arrived they tested her blood sugar and it was fine. They tested her blood pressure which was okay and gave her a portable EKG which was fine (twice). She hadn't eaten or drank much though, so they gave her water and wanted her to eat. At this point she is sitting up and seeming fine. They ask her if she wants to go to the hospital but she doesn't think so.
AGAIN with me not good in a crisis, I do not insist. They told us to go in for further testing either to a doctor at the clinic in the morning or to the hospital that night. So she ate and drank and we discussed which to do. WOW AM I DUMB OR WHAT?! Apparently getting the crap scared out of me drastically affects my judgement. We did end up driving to the ER at Mercy, but in hindsight we should have just gone right in the ambulance to be on the safe side. Mom called my Dad,who was at home up north, and got the family chain going. Dad was headed here immediately, but he had my brother Dave and brother in law Rick both ready to drive him here. Rick picked him up and drove him to Dave's while Dave got ready, and then Dave drove him down here (about a 2 1/2 hour drive). Within minutes of hanging up from Dad the calls started from my brothers and sisters. That is one of the many blessings of having a big family - support when you need it! My sister Cathy met us at the emergency room. We were there in ER until about 2:00 am when they admitted her to the hospital. Lots of interesting people in the ER. There was the boy whose mother rushed him in, "He's been run over by a lawn tractor!!!!" The boy, (12 or so) adds, "But the blades weren't down". I wondered how on earth you get run over by a lawn mower, then figured he must have a brother. Sure enough, it was the brother who did it! Then we had the "Swine Flu" lady, hacking all over wearing a face mask. We steered clear of her. Also oodles of kids in pjs after the urgent cares close.
Last night they did an EKG, CAT scan, chest xrays, and tested blood and urine. Today she'll see a cardiologist and neurologist as they try to figure out why this happened. Dad and I didn't get back here until 2:30 am last night,and I heard him sneaking out of the house at 5:40 am to head back there,so I'm guessing he didn't sleep much at all. Laura is taking the boys for me today and I am headed back too.
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I will keep your mom in my prayers.
Kellet
I feel for you, Sue. It's a blessing to be at the end of a long line of siblings. Still, you can be a successful student, teacher, wife, mother...but when something goes wrong with Mom or Dad...
I usually find myself taking my original place in the family. Number 9.
That usually means that there are roughly 8 (give or take) more experienced ones ahead of me to handle the big stuff.
If your mom is anything like mine, she planned it that way. Bring the older ones up helping to raise the younger ones. All our older sibs knew how to take good care of us "little ones."
I'll pray for your mom too - but, even better, I'll ask my mom to add her to her prayer list. Now there's a woman who's in touch with her higher power.
Post a Comment