Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Vacation Fun


We had a great time on our vacation! It was the third annual summer vacation we've taken with Jay's brother Judd and his family (every year since they've had kids). Our destination this year - Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

We ended up hitting the road a little later than we planned Saturday morning. Zach decided to take the training wheels off his bike Friday night (after us urging him to all summer) and immediately started riding like a pro. He was so excited that he BEGGED to bring his bike with..."I'll hold it on my lap, PLEASE". So Saturday morning Jay dug out my old bike rack and added the kids three bikes to the load. He did manage to fit almost everything in the van though, and after some selective weeding out we didn't need to use the car top carrier. After our later than planned start, we didn't stop much on our drive (UGH, I hate that) and made it to our cabin in Michigan around 4:00pm. The cabin was on Stevens Lake in the Hiawatha National Forest. It was roomy and worked out great for the nine of us. The name of the cabin is "Hiawatha's Heaven on Steven's Lake"...here's the view off the deck, pretty appropriate, huh?


Sunday we checked out the closest town (about 30 minutes away), Munising. We took a short hike to Munising Falls.



Unfortunately, my broken toe cut into my visions of long hikes through the National Forest trails. I stuck to short hikes.

We did get to explore a lot of the National Forest however. The GPS liked to try to tell us to turn on dirt tracks or where there was no actual road in the forest. Jay decided to follow it (I know). We ended up on mud trails where there was no possibility of turning around. Did I mention that the other Nordquists followed us in their matching minivan? We were bottoming out, off roading in the minivans, totally lost in the middle of no where. Luckily we were coming from the grocery store, so no problem surviving in the wilderness. Anyway, out of no where, we stumble upon forest rangers making a bust on people in there with four wheelers illegally cutting and hauling trees. You never saw two such surprised forest rangers. They came up to us and asked, "Lost?!" Jay said, "I suppose you never expected to see a minivan back here." He replied, "Especially not TWO." We had to wait until they were done, and then they led us out to an actual dirt road, gave us a map, and drew the route for us to get back.


Do you see a road? Nope, me neither.


Our fearless leader Jay


Look closely...do you see the forest ranger against the big tree trunk?

Back at the cabin...

Jay rowing the kids


Relaxing by the lake - Jay, Melissa & Judd

Monday we took a boat cruise tour of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (on Lake Superior).





Tuesday Jake came down with a fever and sore throat, so we discovered the closest urgent care facility. Then we hung out at the cabin.


Zach 2 wheelin' it!


s'mores


Zach

Wednesday we explored a few more area waterfalls.



Horseshoe Falls



Wagner Falls

Alger Falls


mini golf fun

No trip to Michigan's UP would be complete without sampling their "soul food" - the pastie. Mmmmmm



Jake learning to row.


Judd & Zach in front of the cabin (photo taken from the boat).


The kids making their own waterfalls!

Thursday we went to Mackinac Island. They don't allow any cars on the island, transportation is by horse, bicycle, or walking. We took the ferry there, and had a great time on the island.

Ferry ride to Mackinac Island




Ice cream treats.



Fort Mackinac



Unfortunately, Zach came down with the fever while there. SO, when we got off the ferry, we headed to the nearest walk-in clinic. Where we had the fastest, most efficient service I've ever had at a medical facility (seriously, I'm not being sarcastic). More antibiotics, and on the road again.



By the time we got back to the cabin that night, you guessed it, Max came down with it. By morning, I had too. So another trip to urgent care, and more antibiotics. Later that day Natalie got it too. Did I mention Max didn't sleep well in the pack n play, sharing a room with his brothers? Ergo, I didn't sleep through the night all week too.

We also went to Kitch-iti-kipi, the Big Spring. We went across it in a self propelled wooden raft. The kids had a great time driving it. The spring was 40 feet deep, and so crystal clear you could see the very bottom.




So, to recap - not much sleep, lots of germs and sickness...BUT, a beautiful area, fun on the lake, campfires, s'mores, relaxing with a few books, adventures, great times with family. Well worth being a little sick and sleepy! :)

Cousins! Jake, Max, Madison, Zach & Natalie


The whole gang!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Looks like sooooo much fun!!

Kellet Ose said...

I love all the great photos! Did your kids groan, "Not another waterfall" like mine did? And where do I get a raft like that one with the cabin on it?

Kris said...

Thank you so much for sharing your vacation with us. I feel like I was there (except for the feverish part, thankfully.)
I would love for you to plan a vacation for my family.
You are a pro!
Awesome job blogging it!