Monday, August 17, 2009

Beat the Heat

We are prepared to beat the August heat now...fall breakaway hockey has begun! Jake and Zach both had practice over the weekend for their new Breakaway teams. The fall league is short. They have one practice, and then eight games. The boys were so excited to try on their skates and get the hockey gear back out. Max even got his first pair of skates too.

I got a call early Saturday morning from Sonya's husband Jimmy. Sonya was admitted to the hospital in St. Cloud Friday. She just finished her six weeks of radiation on her throat, and has been on iv fluids for about three weeks. She still hasn't been able to eat anything though, it's too painful and she throws it back up. They were going to put in a feeding tube through her stomach Friday, but they then discovered her potassium levels were dangerously low. They couldn't do that procedure because of danger to her heart caused by the low potassium. So they immediately admitted her in to the cardiac unit, to get her potassium levels up. She's been in the hospital since Friday. They just put the feeding tube in today, but the pain is bad enough where they are still keeping her there to monitor it.
I drove up Saturday morning and spent some time with her. It was really good to see her. Please pray for her. Hopefully the feeding tube will help her to heal and recover from radiation.

I found a great deal on airline tickets to Texas through Hobbit Travel. Friday I booked tickets for the five of us to visit Weslaco at the end of January. We'll be able to visit both sets of parents, and the kids will have fun seeing where all their grandparents go for the whole winter. Plus of course, it's hard to beat a warm weather trip in Minnesota's January! I'm really excited!

Saturday night we had our friends the Bucherts over for dinner. We planned to BBQ while the kids played outside, but a rain out sent us indoors. They have two boys, one Jake's age and one a year older than Max. The boys had fun tearing around and being wild!

We finished reading the book Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone together as a family, so Sunday we popped popcorn and watched the movie. Very fun!
I love it when we read books that they are so excited about!

1 comment:

Kellet Ose said...

So now are you starting the next Harry Potter book? My kids loved the "Redwall" series by Brian Jaques. I may have the spelling on the last name wrong. These are about talking mice and badgers, fighting bad guys to keep Redwall Abbey safe.