Friday, October 3, 2008

Mom Support

When Jake was 2 (he's now 7) I joined a Mom's Club playgroup with other mothers who all had a boy around the same age as him. It started out with five moms, but one quickly dropped out - I think within about a month. We always joked wondering what had scared her off - we moms or our kids. Anyway, they went from strangers with one thing in common (a child the same age), to three friends to share with, laugh with, complain and vent to, and get support from. We went through potty training together, the start of kindergarten, so many firsts. We got together once a week faithfully for years, continuing on as one after the other started school. Last year was pretty sporadic, with everyone but Zach and the "babies" in school, and one mom going back to work full time with all her kids in school. But these are my boys close friends, the ones they want at their birthday parties, the ones we make time to see when we get a chance.
The four of us moms got together this week to go out for dinner - just the moms! We had seen each other at a birthday party last month, but didn't have as much time to really talk without interruptions (read kids and water park). We spent a wonderful three hours catching up on everything. I'm so grateful to them and their friendship and support these past five years. I don't know what I would have done without them. Thank you Chris, Barb & Paula!
I miss our playgroup, and now that Jake and Zach are both in school, Max and I decided to try to find a playgroup with kids his age. We are doing it through Moms Club again. We've met with the new group twice so far. Luckily, one Mom from my old playgroup has a 2 year old daughter, so she has joined too and we've got a great start!

No comments: