Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Looking Good...


Today we had Zach's six month follow up appointment with the surgeon who did his cleft lip revision in April. I can't believe that was six months ago already.
We headed down to Minneapolis Children's Hospital this morning. Dr. Sidman's office is connected to Children's in the Medical Place building. No matter how many times I go there, for some reason I can never park right where I want to be. Today I tried to maneuver around a truck dumping salt and had to go around the block. I ended up going into the ramp a different way, no big deal. Except when I get inside I realize (eventually) that I am in Abbott Northwestern's Heart Center. Hmmmm - not sure how this happened. With no time to spare, I set off with a quick pace pushing Max in the stroller and pulling Zach along. Unfortunately, I was headed in the opposite direction of where I needed to go. I finally stopped a group of about six young ladies who looked like they worked there. "Wow, you're quite a ways from there!" BUT they were nice enough to actually lead us through the labyrinth of tunnels and skyways, insisting they were going that way anyway. So by the time we make it to our appointment we are 15 minutes late. Our doctor is Dr. Sidman, an expert in the field who also travels extensively doing cleft and craniofacial surgeries around the world (he was in Liberia earlier this year). Anyway, he usually takes MONTHS to get in for an appointment, because he doesn't have much clinic time with his surgery schedule. They were nice enough to still squeeze us in, but we ended up waiting about another 45 minutes before we were finally seen.
Good news is, his lip has healed beautifully (haranguing him EVERY day all spring and summer to apply sunblock daily to his lip and wear a ball cap per doctors orders obviously helped - that is what I will believe anyway!). Dr. Sidman was very pleased with the results and with his speed in healing. We are good for a while now...yeah!



By the way, we did eventually find our way back to the van....

No comments: